Sunday, September 4, 2011

A131746 Lee Weng Hoong LJ05 Personality Gets You The Heart

Salam sejahtera.

 

This is my last journal for ZT2253 Pengurusan Emosi. As usual, I attended the lecture on 24th August 2011. The teaching method this time was entirely different and to me, was very interesting. I really thank and appreciate our lecturer's effort on making the lecture such interesting and interactive for us the students.

 

We were showed 2 videos, one entitled 'Childhood Experience' and another about type A and B personality. For the first video 'Childhood Experience', we were asked to relate it to psychoanalytic theories. Psychoanalytic theories are different from other cognitively or physiologically oriented theories in the sense that the psychoanalytic theories suggest that emotional experiences are of unconscious nature. On the other hand, emotional experiences, according to cognitively or physiologically oriented theories, are elements that will influence a person's behavior under one's conscious mind. In the video, the creator of the video started to lose faith in his childhood perception towards the outside world at one point in his grown-up life. Perhaps, that time was a period filled with overwhelming challenges for this video creator. However, he soon regained his faith on his childhood experiences. After a struggle, he eventually believed back in what he had believed in since childhood, and those beliefs were exactly part of this video creator's childhood experience. Relating to the psychoanalytic theories in this case, I believe that the childhood perception that had long been shaped in this creator's mind still played a dominant role in influencing his behavior when he grew up. Although there were some doubts and uncertainties towards this perception, those negative thoughts were eventually overridden by a positive childhood experience that resided long in his mind and unconsciously influence the creator's behavior. And this childhood experience was what shaped the childhood perception towards the world. Personally, both theories make sense. I believe those theories may not be mutually exclusive. They may co-exist and influence people's behavior depending on which is more dominant.

 

Done with video on 'Childhood Experience', we proceed to personality type. Type A people eat quickly, get up early, and are always in a hurry. They are impatient, organized, and a perfectionist. They frequently check the clock, drive faster than normal and more impatiently, and they are competitive. On the other hand, type B people have calm activities, drive at speed limit or even less. They are easy going, patient, eat slowly and do not rush or worry. These people speak slowly, always relaxed and have a pleasant existence. People with type A personality is at higher risk of heart diseases. These people should really sit back, relax and learn from the type B people how to enjoy life. For me, in some situations I resemble a type A person, in others I show type B traits, surprisingly. Honestly, if you ask me, I have very little idea on which type of person I am. But during the class when Dr. Zamri asked us which type of person we are, I chose type A. I believe what matters most is not being able to differentiate whether you are type A or type B, but rather being able to differentiate the times when you are stressed and learn to relax and take a break at those times.

 

Next is about the MBTI cognitive style inventory. I searched from the Internet and came to know that MBTI actually stands for Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. In this test, we need to determine between extraversion or introversion; sensing or intuition; thinking or feeling; and judgement or perception. For the first one (extraversion or introversion), I was more to extraverted. I enjoy socializing and interacting with people. I can be very talkative at times. However, in some situations I do tend to be introverted. Personally, it depends not only on our personality, but also on the context and situation we are in to be either extraverted or introverted. On the second comparison (sensing or intuitive), this pair of comparison is about information-gathering function. I am more to sensing, meaning that I tend to believe information that is concrete and well-supported by fact. Those who prefer intuition tend to trust information that is more abstract or theoretical and that can be associated with other information. The third pair (thinking and feeling) is about the decision-making function. I am the feeling type. When making a decision, I usually consider other people's feelings intuitively. However, this does not mean a bad decision making as both thinking and feeling style of decision-making is based on a rational mind. To integrate all four pairs of comparion, I am the ESFJ type of people. This test is quite accurate as the interpretations actually fit me quite well. I am the caregivers!

 

The last part of the class was on Big Five Personality Test. I got agreeableness for the personality test. Again it is quite right. In summary, this type of people tends to show compassion and cooperation to others. They tend to be friend with others rather than be enemy and go against others. These people also usually possess an optimistic view of human nature and tend to believe others.

 

In summary, this class on different types of personality really opens my eyes on the different types of people out there. We should never expect others to behave and to think as we do. We must not place our standard of doing and thinking on others as well. Once we realize this fact, we will not get angry when others do not conform to our way of doing a thing. What we think is wrong may not be wrong in their eyes. And all these actually boil down to individual personality. Also, I believe we need to learn how to appreciate the diversity of people out there. If not for the different types of characteristics and personalities, the world would not have been as wonderful as it is.

 

Learn to explore about your own personality and bring the best out of this personality of yours. In this world, you are unique just the way you are.

 

To conclude, throughout all these 5 lectures that I have attended, I truly learnt something about emotions and personalities. Hopefully, all of us can apply what we have learnt in our daily life and see the change! Lastly, I would like to convey my thanks to Dr. Zamri for making class ZT such interesting. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment