Thursday, August 18, 2011

Gabriel Tang Pei Yung, A131735, LJ04, Emotion and motivation

                Hi, everyone, thank you for reading my 4th journal for Pengurusan Emosi. Today I would like to share what have I learned from the lecture on 17th of August 2011. Before the lecture started, Dr Zamri said we have lot of improvement in our journal writing. Some people are able to relate the experiences and personal perspectives to the knowledge itself. Some students also shared the opinion on the videos that had been shown by Dr Zamri during lecture. I feel proud because everyone of us can have such a great improvement. I would like to work harder so that I can produce a better journal and I hope my journal will benefit whoever that read my journal.

                Today, I would like to discuss on Emotion and Motivation. For my personal opinion, motivation is a driving force that can make us work harder while emotion is the psychophysiological response or experience towards the changing of the environment. According to the lecture, emotion can be defined by its effective tone. It can never be neutral. Emotion can be divided into 2 types which are negative emotion and positive emotion. (We have discussed it last time) The examples of negative emotion are angry, sadness embarrassment while the example of positive emotion is happiness. Meanwhile, according to the lecture, motivation is generally thought of as the study of the directional and energizing aspect of behavior.

                There are four components of emotion which are a feeling state, cognitive process, physiological changes and associated behavior. According to Baron and Logan, 2003, emotion cannot be separated from motivation. I personally strongly agree with that. For example, I will be motivated when I get a poor result in my module test because of the sad emotion. Sometimes, I will also be motivated when I am feeling angry. For example, some people looked down on me previously because I was not an upstanding student in my secondary school. I felt angry and be motivated by them. Through this motivation, I worked harder and lastly I achieved a great improvement in my academic result in my secondary school life. Through those experiences, I strongly agree with the theory that was given by Lang, 1992. He said that, emotions can be the motivation of certain behaviors and motive can be very emotional.

                While, not all the emotions can become motivator. In certain cases, emotion can make a person becomes less motivated. For example, a lot of people suicide because of sadness (emotion). They failed in their pass experiences and they felt that the world is hopeless. Because of this negative emotion, they become less motivated and lost the willingness to fight for their life to overcome the obstacles that stand in front of them. They want to take the easy way out to solve the problem (which is suicide) because they think that living is painful. One of my father's friends experienced emotional trauma before. She committed suicide several times (thankfully she was rescued) because she lost the motivation to live her life. I believe that it is a great example that shows to us how emotion can make a person become less motivated.

                According to James-Lange theory, emotion is tightly related to physiological changes of our body. For example, when a person sees something, it gives psychological arousal and behavioral changes. These series of reaction can give some subjective emotions to the person. She or he will decide the next move based on this subjective emotion. Based on those experts, emotion is a state of arousal involving facial and body changes, brain activation, cognitive appraisals, subjective feelings, and tendencies toward action, all shaped by cultural rules. Emotions can be an adaptive response for us in our daily life or environment. It can tell us what should be our next action and how we cope with the circumstances.

                According to Bickhard, 1997, motivation is the aspect of selection of processes. It exists when a person is anticipating something to occur. For example, I will be motivated and work harder to achieve my goal if I know that there is an incentive for me to achieve my goal. Due to the anticipation of the incentive itself, I will work harder in order to make it succeed. Motivation will make a person do one thing rather than the others because of the anticipation. For example, if I am motivated to study hard, I will study more rather than going out with my friend to have fun in the shopping malls.

                Moreover, I also learned that the driving force itself can be related to health science itself. Homeostasis (the mechanism of body that is used to maintain our body in optimum function condition) can give driving force to have some corrective measures for our body. Even animal will behave in accordance with their tissue need. Yet, homeostasis cannot explain all the drives.

                In this lecture, I also learned on arousal theory. Arousal is a psychological and physiologically state of being awake. Based on arousal theory, people are motivated because they want to maintain optimum level of arousal. Based on humanistic theory, which was profound by Abraham Maslow, motives can be divided into several levels from basic survival needs to psychological and self fulfillment needs. Basic needs included safety needs and physiological needs like security, safety, foods, drinks, warmth and rest. While, psychological needs include esteem needs and belongingess and love needs. For example, prestige and feeling of accomplishment, intimate relationship and friends. Self fulfillment needs include self- activation, achieving one's full potential, including creative activities.

                In summary, I really learned a lot from this lecture. I learned on how emotions can be related to motivation itself. Emotion is just like a double- edged sword. It can motivate us or make us become less motivated. We should have the skill to control our emotion so that we can be motivated in an appropriate manner and suitable time. If we cannot manage our emotion well, we possibly will be demotivated by emotion itself and become hopeless all the time when we failed in pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment